Using the Address Book to manage recipients
PowerMail includes an Address Book so that you can create recipients, groups and folder, filter the list of recipients for searching, and manage recipients. Using the Address Book to create, edit, and delete recipients and groups is extremely simple.
A folder is a storage for recipients, groups and sub folders. A group is a list of references to some recipients. Thus, a recipient can exist in only one folder (or at the root level) but can be referenced in multiple groups. For example, you can create a folder "customers" and a folder "prospects", and create a group "newsletter" that references contacts from both folders.
To access the Address Book:
Choose Address Book from the Windows menu, or from the toolbar. The Address Book window appears.
The Address Book window shows all entries, or only those entries that start with text you type in the View Only filter field, in a scrolling list in descending alphabetical order. Each toolbar button lets you perform a common address book function, such as creating or editing entries. Some buttons are disabled (grayed out) unless an entry is selected. When you place the cursor over one of the buttons, a brief description of it appears.
Use the buttons to create a new recipient, create a new group, create a new folder, edit the selected recipient, group or folder, or delete the selected recipient, group or folder (left to right in default ordering of the toolbar).
You can add the sender or the recipients of a received message to the address book using different methods:
- Drag the sender or recipient icon from the message header to the address book window, or to the target folder or group.
- Control-click (or right-click) the sender or recipient icon from the message header, and choose "addd to address book".
- Control-click (or right-click) the sender or recipient icon from the message header, and choose "copy", then select or open the target group or folder in the address book window, and paste.
- Use the "add sender to address book" menu item to add the senders of the selected messages to the address book. Note that you can also customize the browser (or message) toolbar to add this action in the toolbar.
To search in the address book, use the "view only" field in the toolbar (available only on Mac OS 10.3 or higher; on Mac OS 10.2, choose "View only" in the View menu, or click the eye icon near the horizontal scroll bar, to make the view only field visible in a floating window).
For example, to display only those entries that contain "vin", type "vin". This would display "Vinnie", "Vinelands" or "Au Bon Vin", but not "Vito".
To sort the contacts by first name or by last name, make sure these columns are visible (choose "view options" in the View menu), then click on the column heading of the desired sort criterion.
To create a new message that is already addressed to a recipient or group:
- Select one or more recipients or groups (command-click to select multiple entries, shift-click to select a range of contiguous entries).
- Click To, CC, or BCC depending on the recipient type you want.
- A new, untitled message already addressed to the selected recipients appears.
- Complete the message and send it or save it for deferred sending.
You can also drag address book entries to the recipients field of an open message to add them to the recipients list.
You can add address book entries from another e-mail program by dragging and dropping them from the other programs address book window to the PowerMail Address Book window. You can export addresses to another program in the same way if the other supports drag-and-drop importing of addresses.